LEAP with us into 2024!
LWS hosts its 54th Annual International Exhibition this Leap Year with an online show and workshop featuring juror of selection and judge of awards, Kathleen Giles!
Don’t fear – we’ll be back in person next year! This Leap event is to help our international and non-local U.S. artists who have been so supportive over our half-century plus of successful exhibits.
Get your submissions and registration in early and help us celebrate! Deadline for entry is Leap Day of course – February 29!
Exhibition Dates: May 1 – May 31, 2024
Entry Deadline: February 29, 2024
Juror of Selection and Judge of Awards
Kathleen Giles works primarily in watercolor and is a signature member of AWS, NWS, TWSA, PWS, American Woman Artists, the Niagara Frontier Watercolor Society, a member of the Watercolor USA Honor Society, and a member of the International Guild of Realism. Her work is defined by strong values and intense colors on a variety of subjects. Kathleen is a 2023 Arc Salon winner for her poignant portrait, Tears for Ukraine. She has won numerous other national awards as well, including the AWS Bronze Medal in 2022 and the NWS First Place Purchase Award in 2021. Kathleen’s work has been featured in Watercolor Artist magazine, International Artist magazine, the French magazine Pratique des Arts, and others. Look for her in Watercolor Artist magazine in Fall 2023.
Kathleen Giles’ website: www.kgilesstudio.com
My art has become such an all-encompassing force in my life that I am always involved in some aspect of it. I am continually challenged and inspired to use all I know but still be open to fresh ideas or techniques. The passion I feel for my work comes through to the viewer and helps to ensure that my work is always evolving. I find the artistic life to be a wondrous journey of self-discovery and expression. I also value the artistic relationships with my students and the endless opportunities to grow and learn that teaching affords meKathleen Giles
Kathleen Giles will conduct a three-day virtual painting workshop, Dynamic Value with Kathleen Giles, via Zoom, on May 14 through May 16, 2023, from 9:00 am sharp to 4:00 pm. Time will be allotted for brief breaks and a ½-hour lunch. Kathleen will present a 2-3 hour follow-up critique via Zoom before June 10, 2024. Critique is offered free of charge to students who choose to participate. No make-up date will be provided. As a special bonus, Kathleen will provide a link to the unedited video recording of the workshop to all participants free of charge within 14 days of workshop completion. This is a great opportunity for our out-of-state members to participate.
Cost: The workshop, critique, and video link are all included for the low price of $365 for members and $415 for non-members. Class limited to 25 students – first come, first serve!
The Louisiana Watercolor Society accepts original, water-based paintings on paper.
- Paintings must have been completed in the three years prior to the submission deadline.
- Paintings must be be the sole work of the artist; they cannot be completed in workshops or classes or under supervision.
- No copies of another artist’s work are allowed.
- Only original paintings are allowed: No photographs, prints, or giclées, or digitally-created art.
- If photo references are used, the photo must have been taken by the artist.
- No work shown in any prior LWS international exhibition may be submitted.
- No work other than the accepted work may be submitted.
- Watercolor is the preferred medium.
- Acrylic, casein, gouache, water-based ink, and tempera are allowed.
- All paintings must be on unvarnished natural or synthetic paper.
- No other surfaces are accepted.
Additional cash and merchandise awards will be announced.
Non-members may pay member entry fees now by joining LWS for the annual membership rate of $35 for US / $40 for international.
A 30% commission will be retained on all sales after acceptance date to support the exhibition costs. Please price paintings accordingly. No prices can be changed after acceptance into exhibition.
A list of accepted artists will be posted to this website by March 29. Accepted artists will be notified by email. Each exhibiting artist will receive one complimentary catalog. Additional catalogs will be available for $10 each.
- Signature status is granted to members after acceptance in three International Shows, provided annual dues have been paid continuously since the first acceptance.
- The Masters signature LWS-M may be applied for after acceptance in ten International Shows provided annual dues have been paid continuously since the first acceptance. Download LWS-M application form here.
|Exhibit||May 1 – 31, 2024|
|Entry Deadline||February 29, 2024|
|Notices emailed for accepted paintings||March 29, 2024|
|Check website for accepted artists||March 29, 2024|
|Exhibit posted on website||May 1, 2024|
|Kathleen Giles virtual workshop||May 14 – 16, 2024|
|Awards & Reception||May 19, 2024|
|Last day of exhibit||May 31, 2024|
Direct questions to the Exhibition Chair, Peggy Kirby, at [email protected] or call/text 504-905-5907.
- The minimum painting size is 8″ x 10″ (unframed).
- Artists may submit up to 3 paintings.
- Entries are submitted digitally in JPG format. File size cannot exceed 5 MB. Image must show only the painting – no frame or mat. Entries may be disqualified if incorrectly formatted.